Muskegon Township

Employee Login

Frequently Asked Questions

Assessing Department

Except for additions and losses to a property, annual increases in the property’s taxable value are limited to 5% or the rate of inflation, whichever is less. However, in the year following a statutory transfer of ownership, this limitation is eliminated and the property’s taxable value is set at 50% of the property’s true cash value (i.e., the state equalized value).

Assessed value represents 50% of the market value. Taxable value is the value used to calculate the property taxes. In general the taxable value multiplied by the appropriate millage rate yields the property taxes for a property.

Starting in 1994 properties which qualified as “homestead” (now called principal residence exemption) or “qualified agricultural property” were exempt from some school operating taxes (usually 18 mills). This exemption does not apply to Taxable Value but applies to millages only. A tax bill with P.R.E. will be less then one without a P.R.E.

The general definition of ownership states that a conveyance of title to, or a present interest in, a property – including beneficial use of the property – is a transfer of ownership.

Michigan statutes require that the buyer, grantee, or transferee of a property notify the local assessing office when a transfer of ownership occurs. Michigan statues also provide that this notification is to be made on a form prescribed by the State Tax Commission.

It could be for a number of reasons such as:

  • You purchased your home last year. Therefore, it is subject to uncapping this year.
  • You have a new special assessment that you are paying.
  • You have a lien (water, sewer) on your property.
  • You have delinquent usages (sewer, water, sanitation) on the bill.
  • You have new construction.
  • You have not filed your “Homeowner’s Principal Residence Exemption” (previously known as Homestead).

We don’t ever give out exact amounts until the bills are printed. Until then we may not have a complete list of the information necessary to calculate an exact bill. However, we will be happy to estimate one for you. (previously known as Homestead).

Clerks Department

The Code of Ordinances under Businesses, Article I, Sec. 10-5 states “no person may commence or continue a business within the Township without having first obtained a Township Business License.” Please contact the Clerk’s Office at 777-2555 Ext. 1138 to obtain an application or click here to download the form.

Yes, the renewal fee is $50.00 per year, due on May 1.

To register to vote in Michigan you must be a U.S. citizen, at least 18 years of age by Election Day and a resident of Michigan and the City or Township where you are applying to register to vote.

You may register to vote by mail or at your local Township, City or County Clerk’s Office or by visiting any Secretary of State Branch Office. In addition, you may register to vote at the Family Independence Agency, Department of Community Health or the Department of Career Development. Also, many Michigan High Schools and Military Recruitment Centers have the necessary forms. You can also download a form from the Secretary of State’s Web site by clicking here.

If you register to vote by mail, you must vote in person at your assigned precinct the first time you vote unless you are disabled as defined by state law, 60 years of age or older or temporarily residing overseas.

If you are not sure where your assigned precinct is located please contact the Township Clerk’s Office at 777-2555 Ext. 1138.

Garbage / Recycling

On the following holidays (except when on a Saturday or Sunday) your garbage service will be one day later than normal:

  • New Year’s Day
  • Martin Luther King Day
  • President’s Day
  • Memorial Day
  • 4th of July
  • Labor Day
  • Veteran’s Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day

Garbage and recycling collection begins at 6:00 AM.

No, not if you have our sanitation service. When you have large items or an excessive amount of trash, please call at least one day prior to your pick up day. There is a charge of $20.00 per large item pick up for residents that are not current sanitation customers and $15 for large item pick up for sanitation customers. Tags for large item pick up must be purchased at Township Hall (1990 E. Apple Ave) one business day prior to the day of pick up. 

Put sharps (needles) in a purchased sharps container, an empty coffee can, an empty laundry detergent bottle or an empty bleach bottle. Tape the lid down with heavy duct or packing tape. Label the container with the words “MEDICAL WASTE” or “SHARPS CONTAINER” and set beside your trash can on the ground.

Yes, for sanitation customers, yard waste is picked up the first full week of the month on your regular garbage day beginning in May.

Yard waste must be in biodegradable bags. Biodegradable paper bags are available at local retailers.

The Township contracts with Republic Services for recycling services.

The recycling containers are provided by the Township. Please call to arrange for delivery.

Recycling is picked up every four weeks on your scheduled garbage day. For the current recycling calendar click here.

Recycling pick up begins at 6:00 AM.

For a complete list of items and how to prepare your recycling click here.

Treasurer Department

We accept payment here for sewer, water, sanitation, property taxes and permits. All money due the Township is payable at the Treasurer’s Office.

We accept cash, checks, money orders, certified checks, and credit cards (MasterCard, Visa and Discover). If you choose to pay with a credit card, your card will be charged for the amount of the bill you are paying plus a convenience fee. The convenience fee is charged by the processing company, not the Township.

Yes. At this time we are offering automatic withdrawal for sewer, sanitation and property tax bills.

Yes. For a link to the forms, please click here. Please enclose a voided check or deposit slip when you turn in the form to the Treasurer’s Office.

Depending on when you sign up, most accounts will be converted prior to the next bill. You should continue to pay until you are notified on your utility or tax bill.

The money will be withdrawn on the due date of the utility bill, or on the selected date for tax bills. If the due date falls on a weekend or holiday, the funds will be withdrawn on the next regular business day.

All checks should be made payable to Muskegon Township.

Sewer bills are due March 20, June 20, September 20 and December 20. In the event that the 20th falls on a holiday or weekend, the due date will be the following business day. For your convenience, after hours payments may be placed in the drop box located near the main doors to Township Hall.

Sanitation bills are due January 20, April 20, July 20 and October 20. In the event that the 20th falls on a holiday or weekend, the due date will be the following business day. For your convenience, after hours payments may be placed in the drop box located near the main doors to Township Hall.

The water bills are generated monthly by the County of Muskegon and are due the first Friday of each month.

You should have your bill on July 1.

Summer taxes are due September 14.

You should have your bill on December 1.

Winter taxes are due February 14, 2017 without penalty. We will accept payment of Winter taxes through Monday February 28, 2017. Unpaid property taxes will be turned over to the County Treasurer March 1, 2017.

Muskegon Townships property tax payments get allocated amongst various entities including, but not limited to, the community college, the local library, state education, and the school districts in our township. To learn more about where your tax payments go, click here